Monday 9 May 2016

Late Night Typings: Imagination

I've always found myself better at conversing through the keyboard as opposed to speaking. I'm not sure what it is, perhaps its being able to think more about what I'm about to say instead of the more instand nature of talking. It could be that seeing words gives you their full form, as if, like me, when you read the words its almost as if you hear them too. I've always done my most deepest of thinking sessions when the sun is at its lowest. Theres something about about blackness I find interesting, in that I see more then when there is light. My imagination has always been rather large and random, it was always an escape mechanism as a child when feeling low or having been bullied. 'Well Kev, real life sucks why not make something better?' It wasn't difficult to do at times, but it was certainly rewarding and more exciting. I wish I'd kept a diary though, noted these thoughts down so I could return and know more about me as a child than I am able to remember. I think as humans, we only remember the good and the bad, sometimes just one depending on what our childhood was like. What about the other times? I tried keeping a diary a few years ago but it didn't seem like it was for me. Having to note something everyday felt like a chore. I don't feel inspired every day, sometimes I feel bewildered and tired by the world and want nothing of it. Other days its the most amazing place to be, full of hope and love and all I want is to embrace its beauty. 

Before I go on, I will warn you, I don't have a clever end to this post. This is a ramble of sorts, a late night attempt to get out thoughts onto page and see what others may think. Some may relate to this, others may be confused and find it tedious. Both, are fine. 

Back on track then, and imagination. I don't get into much tv, movies or literature, but when I do its my passion. It has to have something that grabs me by the hand and pulls me through, not letting me go and myself not wanting to be released to not know the next path of a journey. If I'm not getting into someone elses tales then I'm making my own up. What lies behind that door? What could be in the depths of that mist? What would happen if mythical beasts reappeared and attacked the local areas? Having used my imagination to get by as a child, I find it still holds a great hold over me now, even in my mid thirties. I still wonder what a door could hide and what insane events could doom the world, most often when I lay my head down to sleep. The darkness is feared by most, but for me its a canvas. Nothing, apart from myself, can spoil what my mind will create. Be it alternate versions of events from that day to being inserted into a film and imagining what I may do in that situation, the mind is always active. Even when asleep, it continues the process. 

When I was around the age of 13-14, my sister met someone and they've since been married almost 20 years. During the time they were dating however my broher in law Mutley gave me a mix tape introducing me to music I actually connected with. There were two lines in a song that grasped my one working ear...

"Dreams of war, dreams of liars
Dreams of dragon's fire, and of things that will bite"

Enter Sandman, Metallica. I'd never really got into music until that moment, but those lyrics meant something to me and most of my childhood. It got me listening to more and more of Metallica and theres no other band I've connected with. They didn't just catch my imagination, they fuel'ed it. Another thing my bro-in-law has to be found guilty of, is my love of tabletop. 'Fancy playing some Space Crusade?' he once said. I accepted, and have become addicted since. From Space Crusade to 'American Football with orcs and elves' aka the perfection that is Blood Bowl, seeing these little models on the board and imagining them doing the things I rolled dice for just captivated me. Over the last 4-5 years this has grown so much, as I've found a community local to me that also feel a similar thing and we meet up regularly to play such games. Just before Xmas last year we started giving D&D a go, Dungeons and Dragons if you didn't know. Pen and paper roleplaying, and that too has been fantastic.

Imagination has been one of the biggest things in my life. I want it to continue to shape me, I want to grow inside its wonder and limitless ideals. I crave having my attention grabbed by other peoples stories and tales that I can relate too, be it Game of Thrones, Metallica, the cartoons and universes I loved as a child or ones yet to be created. I hope anyone reading this has a similar train of thought when it comes to imagination, the one thing I cannot imagine is not being able to imagine at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment